Maintenance Chemo

As many know Nathan has been on a maintenance chemo schedule with hopes to halt the growth and progression of his cancer. The first was infused through an LP procedure and then he went onto chemo injections that he had to go to the hospital everyday for which consisted of 3 injections of chemo each time and then onto the chemo administered at home every day…he did well with these all considering what he’s experienced in the past, the big problems is chills, fatigue, nausea, and of course his blood counts. He ended last week with a BMB which we shared that there was no new growth/maturing in Nathan’s cancer cells and YES that’s fantastic news but in the same breath Nathans cancer cells did not decrease in % at all they stayed the same, the Drs where hoping to see a decrease to benefit/aide Nathan in this battle. As I explained before there are many Drs involved in conference with Nathan’s case as it’s not common, but pretty rare…concerns are high in controlling it still and Nathan will be going back onto more rounds of chemo, with added meds/chemo’s everyone was hoping that by now Nathan would be in the transplant process. The added meds are still being determined as the results we have now are only preliminary results and Drs are waiting for the actual full results before making any decisions. Nathan’s body has been through a lot of chemo’s in these last 6yrs, and not just regular doses but HIGH DOSES of chemo’s and his organs took some major hardship during his second battle with osteosarcoma, that we have to be aware and cautious of that while treating in this maintenance course; if things are to hard they can create organ failure and Nathan’s transplant will be put off. We cannot emphasize enough how badly he NEEDS this transplant it is his only chanceĀ of beating this.

As far as the donors are concerned…Nathan did not match anyone in the states(other then his dad being a partial), they had to reach out to the international registry for him and found 3 matches, the 1st donor who is going through all the process is still on the possible list, 2nd donor is not on the registry any more so he’s out and the 3rd has responded and is going through the process of testing now, once his results come back the Drs can make a better decision as to where to go from here.

Nathan is hanging in there he has good/bad days and days of just being here feeling like junk, his nausea has been a bugger these last days and that creates another problem for him; eating, Nathan needs to keep eating to maintain and prepare for transplant,as he goes through that process his body will be put to extreme limits and he will need a lot of strength before hand to push through it all. Although we are anxious to get our boy into transplant to save him we are not anxious about it at all with what he will endure, it will be a very trying and difficult time/experience, and it honestly totally scares the hell out of us.

I cannot deny I’ve been a bad about pushing him to do his school work as i honestly sit and look at him and think i just can’t make that fight right now, I just want to enjoy his company and laughs while he’s in the mood, so yes he’s gotten behind a bit and those that know me…that is not a thing I ever let happen but one thing I know is every laugh I share with him through these days of worry and concern along with much fear is vital, not only for me but for Nathan as well.

We will have another meeting later this week and find out our new direction with this all, I ask you all to please keep Nathan and my family in your prayers…

Thank you and God bless!!!

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail